Do my eyes deceive me!!


A great experience I must tell ...

So about 4 years ago I came out of a room into a freshly mopped room, gained momentum and ripped my arm out of the socket, hit the floor crushing my shoulder blade and on top of that knocked me clean out, when gaining consciousness it took 3 firefighters to lift me up because of the excruciating pain.

4 months it took before I could slightly do anything again!!

Could it get worse? It could, I lost the sight of one eye...actually I could tell if it were light or dark but not much else, to make it more interesting I really couldn’t tell differences like stairs or uneven walk ways because my brain was constantly trying to focus. However tedious as this was I ignored the fact that it was getting worse....

then a wake up call.

 Walking quite quickly on a busy walk way I didn’t see a pad of concrete about 10 cm high...you guessed it!! I was, in fast motion, smacked to the ground this time broke my foot, right hand, 3 ribs, and a beauty mark on my head, again unable to do much for ... hand still not normal.

I know what you’re thinking at this point about me and it is probably a long list of insults so let’s move on... finally I decided to get this eye thing looked at and fearing the worst I might add, decided to see Bustamante.

What or who is that you wonder, let’s go !!

Years ago my daughter came to visit and she wanted to see about getting lasik surgery, she had worn glasses much of her life and wanted to try putting them down once and for all, I had heard of this Dr Bustamante, don’t really remember how now but scheduled a visit, I remember how thorough he was and really took extra time to make sure she was a candidate for this and also she had like a stigma situation which was a little more complicated and in many cases not possible so the next day in she went, years later, still great!

Next, 4 years ago I met my wife Cecilia and I was thinking what gift I could get her and I saw her dealing with her cumbersome, heavy, thick, spectacles and I remembered Bustamante!! So 4 years later still amazing! No glasses.

My journey.... after my second hitting the floor affair I decided to have Bustamante have a look not believing he could really fix this mess so we scheduled an appointment and there he was, a short, balding busy bee running around, hadn’t changed a bit. I must have because he didn’t recognize me at all!! come on how many gringos do you think visit him that look like me!! Any way he ran extensive testing  and looked up at me and proclaimed, "he cannot see!!" Then proceeded to scold me on why I waited so long to see him , only one explanation, all of my knives aren’t sharp in the drawer, a few fries short of a happy meal and so forth, so he informed me of the damages and thought it was possible but it may be problems and didn’t want to go at it alone, so he scheduled me in sending me first to have my heart checked, blood and my brain, not my brain but probably thought about it.

A week later there I was getting prepped for surgery, now can I admit how scared I was ok so I was scared to say the least after all they were about to take me eye ball out, slice and dice it put it in a food processor, turn it on high and call it a day , imagined anyway.

Here’s how it all went down, I am greeted first by the most wonderful short smiling nurse noticing how nervous I was... gave me a genuine hug reassuring me everything was going to be just fine, prepped me, put me on a gurney held my hand and assisted by 2 more nurses rolled my sorry ass into surgery and to my surprise, Bustamante and 2 other surgeons, they patched my good eye and put more drops in the bad eye to put it to sleep, what a trip!!

Couldn’t really tell what they were doing and positive I didn’t want to see what they were doing all I could hear was sparks a flyin blood spraying every where and a lot of!! oops... oh no , and, (oh come on not really!! )

Well at the end they put a patch on my repaired eye took the patch off my good eye and saw the 3 surgeons crying hugging and singing cumbia so I assumed it all went well . They rolled me out to my wife gave her the news with instructions in Spanish and I think they told her to leave me on the side of the road somewhere not sure but she didn’t.

Four hours later I could actually see ( not perfectly) but for the first time as far I could remember, I COULD SEE!! 2 weeks later returned for check up and I could read the smallest print on the projection so Bustamante was pretty proud of himself and rightfully so I might add.

How much did this (experience) cost ?? Are you sitting down? $750.00 u.s.
Bustamante!! Your my &@?!?!!

Comments